Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic Serial plugin?

Default Generic Serial plugin?

Hi,

Just wondering if there were any plans to bring over the G5 'Generic Serial' plugin to G6? My understanding of this isn't great sorry, but I did have the majority of my serial devices programmed up and leveraging the 'Generic Serial'>'Serial Devices'>'Serial Send' function and it works really well, plus fairly easy to setup a new serial device.

I guess I just need some direction at this stage to minimise conversion time - do I need to be heading down the path of using the scripting function calls or are there plans to bring over the Generic Serial plugin (or is there a better way to be tackling these conversions I guess)?

Cheers

We have the lua/examples/SimpleSendAndReceive.lua file that is a nice start. But you can always post your files here and we can have a look as well.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Thanks Ron. Yep, I've taken a look at that, but am I right in assuming this won't reflect as a 'plugin' as such where I can select 'Serial Send' action and then select my custom device like I could in G5? That was just a really nice and neat way to send serial commands without having to script up everything, like I assume we have to do now in G6 with the 'Scripting' action? That feature in G5 only became visible when the Generic Serial plugin was checked, but I don't see that as an available plugin in G6. I guess that was my question - is there any intention for the Generic Serial plugin to be ported over to G6 so that it does appear as a selectable plugin and can then be selected in the Available Actions list?

Cheers

I'm wanting similarly, but the other side. in G5 it was reasonably easy to learn an event for COM1, old-style serial. Granted I'm new to G6 and maybe I just haven't found it yet, but the relative simplicity of doing the serial stuff in G5 is making me wish for it. I'll watch this thread for your advice, Ron (or others).

I'll see next week if I can put something together that will be similar to the old serial devices plugin. If you guys upload your scripts I can see if there is any way to reuse them or not.
    Ron
    No support through PM

No need to design around my scripts, since I'm in the investigatory stages. The primary use for me is for Girder to receive serial strings from a non-primary serial output from an Elk alarm system. I don't need the whole interface of the Elk/ElkRPM system because that only supports one client at a time, so Girder would effectively prevent or interrupt other access. To get around that limitation, I added a secondary serial output to the Elk system, which sends custom strings for the ~5-10 operations it needs to control the video surveillance system. Girder needs to receive those strings, and then "convert/translate" those into HTTP requests sent to a BlueIris video surveillance management REST endpoint. BlueIris is running on the same physical computer as Girder, but that's not a requirement, since it's HTTP. For my purposes I don't need all the standard Elk commands, since it's not that kind of interface. Similarly, with BlueIris I don't need to build out a full-function device interface for their REST endpoint, I just need to send it a few commands. The reverse flow is also needed, but at a much lower priority, and with only a couple messages being transferred.

And, thanks, Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'll see next week if I can put something together that will be similar to the old serial devices plugin. If you guys upload your scripts I can see if there is any way to reuse them or not.
    Thanks Ron. I too am just at the G5 to G6 cutover feasibility stage, but this was something that came up right away and I didn't want to reinvent the wheel if I didn't have to.

It was just that the old G5 serial plugin, and serial work in general using the plugin in G5 and the handy Serial Device Maker, seems a whole lot easier than it currently is in G6 for non-programmers like myself.

Any help I can get is much appreciated I won't bother playing with the simpleserialsendandreceive lua for the moment I guess until this has some confirmed direction. Yell out if you need me to test anything! I guess I'm also not at the stage of needing any help with existing G5 scripts (although I'm sure I will later!), as I haven't even tried to 'convert' them over yet with the above in mind having a large impact on the direction I head with them.

Cheers
    Last edited by yamy125; May 24th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

I fully understand. Keep an eye on this thread for updates.
    Ron
    No support through PM

I've created a first pass at the generic serial plugin. It's called the Simple Transport. It allows you to setup a Serial or Tcp device and send data to it from actions. Also it allows receiving data and creating events from it. Give it a whirl it's in 6.0.0.68
    Ron
    No support through PM

Can I use it to send and receive/communicate with Arduino Uno board connected using USB to the PC running Girder?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast