Thread: PIR-1 on Raspberry

Default PIR-1 on Raspberry

I just started testing out a PIR-1 unit, and cannot get it to work properly on Raspberry.

The device is recognized and seems to work as far as sending out signals, but I cannot get it to receive or learn anything. When I look in the log I see that when pressing the same button on the remote, I get several messages from the PIR-1 where the message string in completly different between them.

I moved the PIR-1 to a Windows 7 machine, and there it performed just as expected and received and learned signals consistently.

Is something missing in my Pi setup or is there a bug in the current Girder release for Pi?

That is _very_ strange. I'll have to think about why the different OS gives a different result there. What manufacturer remote are you using?
    Ron
    No support through PM

I did try it with a couple of remotes, both one for a Panasonic Plasma and a Microsoft MCE remote.

Could this be related to the voltage on the USB cable? I have the PIR-1 (MK1) connected to a powered USB hub on the Pi, maybe changing the PSU for the hub or the hub itself could help?

I guess it's possible. Give it a try.
    Ron
    No support through PM

That did not make any change. Still the same behaviour.

Two more things to check:

Are you running your instance of girder as the root user?

Are you running an instance of the back-end at the same time you are running a local instance?

Yes girder is running as root.
    I'm running the front end on a (virtual) Windows machine.

Hmm ok there is something, I'll check if the split front-end back-end is the problem. So when you try to learn you use the Windows Based UI connected to the backend running on the RPI, while the PIR-1 is connected to the RPI. Is that correct?
    Ron
    No support through PM

It's definitely the split front-/back-end. I just tried with a local Girder front end and things seemed work (I was using a remote X11 server, and that was so slow that it was next to useless).

The thing is that I've been testing both windows and pi in the same way, with a remote front-end. And it did work with the windows machine.

I see now that what really happens is that the PIR-1 does not show up in the drop-down top left in the learn dialog. See attached screenshot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pir-1.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	6837