Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First impressions on G6

(Not trying to argue here)

If you observed:

1. "girder in same process": works
    2. "girder remote local" doesn't work
    3. "girder remote over Internet" connecting to the own IP doesn't work

Then that is as expected. The remote local which I assume is a local service instance, which runs on a different desktop and doesn't see the key presses you do on a different desktop things make sense. I can add keyboard capturing on the UI end as well.
    Ron
    No support through PM

(sorry - don't want to bother you - just understand)

So maybe it is because I do not understand the separated desktops-thing. I thought it is as simple like: UI and server on same PC means one keyboard and one plugin listening for key presses.

no problem. it's all new I understand

yeah if the back-end and front-end are running on different desktops (even if it's the same computer) only the active desktop gets the keystrokes. Probably best to have an option to catch keystrokes on the front-end as well.
    Ron
    No support through PM

I see. Thanks. Didn't expect that the server (as a service) is dedicated to any desktop; i mean - it runs also when no user is logged in and no desktops are active at all. In addition to that there is only one desktop configured on the pc

Service Applications run on their own desktop. That desktop is always there in addition to your own desktop.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Thanks. This was the missing link for me.

Hi Ron,

I just have to come back to this issue to make it cristal clear to me. Background: My girder use case is running on a living room PC working as server and TV front end. I use girder also for controlling TV / media software which means girder has to send keyboard commands to windows applications running on the desktop in the context of the current user. Am I right with the following assumptions:

1. to be able to maintain windows apps running on the user desktop (keyboard, open/close, ...), I need girder server to run in the same process like the girder front end which is running in the user context. It will not work with girder running as a service. Right?

2. The PC has no physical keyboard and is so to say unattended. I need to access to girder remotly by a separat PC's girder front end. I can connect remotely to the girder server running in the front end process in the same way like I connect to a girder server running as a service. Right?

3. When I remotly connect to the girder server running in the front end process, the server behaves different like a server running as a service in sense of configuration (password-setting, port-setting, ...). After restarting girder in a common process, passwords and ports are resetted to default. Right?

4. Girder (server) has no option to start with windows in "one process" / "hidden in tray" mode as it was with G5. Right?

Thanks for some answers in advance and sorry for the dummy questions. I just feel better if i understand g6 better. By the way: Today I was so brave that I switched over to g6 on my productive system allthough my family kills me if the home server / tv is not working. As I'm still alive, you can see that it works sofar :-)

1. Yes, Girder needs to run in the same desktop session as the windows you are trying to control. BUT here is the trick, you can start a Girder front-end in the desktop session you are trying to control, have it connect to the backend in the service session. Then in Window targetting also fill in the "Session" box. Set that Session value to the "front-end" value of your choice. ( make sense? )

2. Correct

3. As you have figured out by now Girder it self consists of a front-end and a back-end (NetRemote is also a front-end but is a different thing for this discussion). The back-end stores all the settings in it's session. So if the back-end runs in the service session it will store it's settings in a different spot from if you run Girder's back-end in the user session. That is what is confusing you I think. So passwords are not reset to default, they are just loaded from a different location.

4. Sure, you can pass a few commandline arguments ( see the manual ) to make Girder start in process in the tray bar. Just create a shortcut and place that in the startup menu.

Does that help? I feel the back-end front-end thing is confusing, but powerful once you get it.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Hi Ron,

1. Makes sense. Thank you for the trick. So what I understand is, that a girder client is not only a UI-client, but also something like a server's satelite. Being so, it can send events to the server as well as execute actions on behalf of the server. Maybe I missed that but if not it's worth to spend a sentence about that in the manual.
    It works - by the way - very well. Have changed it to make the service run more independend than a single-process installation.

3. I see the server-as-service stores the settings in that file settings.json. To me it seems that the server-in-process does not store this data at all. After restart, password is the defalut one again.

4. works fine. Thank you.

I get more and more insights in your idea of G6. It is complex as well as powerfull. Allways a tradeoff to keep it intuitive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12