Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie USB-UIRT getting started

What works is Ctrl+Alt+J on the keyboard (Created this as a keyboard shortcut on the MC 21 desktop link). But when I look at the Keyboard and try to edit the "Text To Send" it does not seem to register the "Ctrl" or "Alt". All that happens is MC21 opens but the text box remains empty. The *@J you are talking about might work from within MC21 to refocus the window. But as far as I can tell it does not work if MC21 is closed.

Try to send it via a targeted action instead of foreground. Keyboard emulation while not in foreground is always tricky.
    Ron
    No support through PM

The problem I am having it not whether or not it is targeted. The problem I have is that I don't know how to get it to accept the keystrokes of "Ctrl" & "Alt" since these do not register when I hit the keys in the "Text to Send" window?

Carl

So is there no way to add keyboard commands that use modifiers such as "Ctrl", "Alt" & "Shift"?

Carl

Keyboard emulation doesn't always work (it's a bit of a hack since windows doesn't properly support this). The way to enter ctrl, alt, shift + j is by typing *@^J (see manual under actions\keyboard)

Anyway what are you trying to do with that keystroke? Just start MediaCenter? There are other actions that can start a program.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Ok Here is what I want to do. I want to learn an IR signal from a button on a remote. once learned when I hit that button I want the computer to produce a keyboard combination which I assign. In this case "CTRL"+"ALT"+"J".

I don't think this should be rocket science. But I can learn the button from the remote but I don't see where to tell Girder what I want the computer to do when it receives a signal from that button.

I would really appreciate a simple step by step instruction on creating the above scenario in Girder 6.

Thanks.

Carl.

Certainly. The manual has a section called "Tutorials". In there you find "Hook Events to Actions". Also the video Events Macros and Actions should be helpful.

Events from the USB-UIRT come in all the time (see event log), you don't need to switch to -learn- mode for reception, only if you wish to send out IR codes do you need to go into learn mode.
    Ron
    No support through PM

The Vido in the link provided for "Events Macros And Actions" did not work for me.

The Tutorial > Hook Events to Actions at leasted pointed me in the right direction and got me started. I think I will be able to get the basic stuff I am looking for now.

Thanks for you help. They really need to do a basic "Girder For Dummies" manual or something though. The whole manual seems to give instructions based on someone being already familiar with the software etc...

Thanks again.

Carl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12