Thread: Keyboard Send Targeted - markup not working

Default Keyboard Send Targeted - markup not working

I'm trying to control Kodi by sending keys to it and noticed something strange.

When I send normal keys (standard lower case) and special keys (like <LEFT>) everything works fine. But when I try to send key markup modifiers it does not work unless I send to the Foreground task.

I.e. I want to send ctrl-r, so I put "*r" in the text box and set Target to "executable"="Kodi" (with Substring match). Then Kodi will just receive a lower case "r" and start a rewind operation. If I change the target to "Foreground", Kodi will receive a proper ctrl-r and to the proper thing.

(This is on a Windows 10 machine)

The background sending is something that could be problematic since it's not something that windows supports officially. Maybe you can use the JSON interface instead:

http://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API
    Ron
    No support through PM

The background sending works fine for everything but the markup modifiers. That's why I thought it might be a problem inside Girder. If it's not then it's just too bad.

I first looked at using the JSON-RPC and did a bit of work with it. Unfortunately it turns out it is extremely cumbersome to use since it is not context sensitive in the same way as the keyboard shortcuts.

E.g. with the keyboard you can use <RIGHT> to move right in things like menus, tv-guide and also fast forward in videos etc. If you're using JSON-RPC you'll have to use method "Input.Right" for the first part and "ExecuteAction=stepforward" for the latter. This means that you'll either have to code a lot of context parsing functions in order to know which method to use at any given time, or you'll have to use separate remote control buttons for every JSON-RPC method/action.

I did Google this and found a Kodi thread about the problem: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=241612

ok, then the next step I recommend is to do command capture. If you haven't seen that before look at the manual under "Actions/Command Capture".
    Ron
    No support through PM

Right. That looks promising. I just did a quick test and it seems like the capture only works for Girder itself. I did test with both Kodi and Calc (as in the manual) and they do not show up in the capture.

This was running Girder and the application as the same user on the same desktop.

Indeed, the new Windows 10 calc no longer captures. I'll have to investigate what is going on there. Looks like Microsoft changed stuff again.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Good to see that I wasn't doing something wrong. Then I guess I'll head down to the pub.
    Thanks for the help, your fast support is really appreciated.

No problem, sorry it wasn't better news. Have fun!
    Ron
    No support through PM