Thread: LAV Filter / Decoder

Default LAV Filter / Decoder

Hi

is there any way to control the LAV Filters from Girder? I want to set the bitstreaming formats

Maybe there is another way..
    I use DVBVIewer with LAV Filters for Video and Audio
    for movie channels I want to activate bitstreaming for AC3 via button. For "normal use" audio is coming from my TV set and for movies I switch on my surround system. But therefor I need bitstream output

Thanks
    Jan

I believe that the question was asked recently here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=156191

and the answer from the developer was that there is no capability for external control in LAV Filters. Certainly, I'm not aware of any and have never had any need of it.

I believe that the decoding capability in LAV Filters is as good (or possibly better) than any AVR so it's not clear to me why you would want to use bitstreaming at all. If you feel a real need for it then it would be better to ask in the above thread (with details of your setup and reasons why bitstreaming is necessary) and I or somebody might be able to help you.

Oh thanks for that info

ok, this is not Girder related but I'm curious about the second part of your answer.
    I'm no expert and certainly my knowledge is a little bit outdated. I always thought, for AC3 5.1 I must choose bitstreaming via SPDIF to have 5.1 sound. If I understand your answer: I can choose to decode 5.1 in LAV and pass this via SPDIF to the AV receiver !?!??! correct?
    That would be great because I could use the Windows volume control.

If SPDIF is the ONLY digital connection you have available, then you WOULD have to use bitstreaming to get 5.1 (unless you do it via an analog connection). With any reasonably modern AVR, however, you would have HDMI available and you can send the audio this way. Since you said you were already doing some things without SPDIF, I had hoped that you had HDMI available, but your description of your setup was very confusing so I can't be sure of anything.

EDIT: Thinking a little more about this, the bottom line is that, for everything that you use LAV filters for, you should be able either bitstream everything or use the method that you are using on your other sources for everything. Thus you would not have a need to switch LAV from Girder.

If you want to go further on this, please go over to the doom9 thread mentioned above. This is definitely OT for this thread and you will be able to get much more info there.
    Last edited by jmonier; March 9th, 2016 at 09:00 AM.

ok thanks !!