Thread: Should I switch from Girder 3.3.10 to Girder 6?

Default Should I switch from Girder 3.3.10 to Girder 6?

For quite a few years now, and through several hardware changes, my daughter's wheelchair mounted computer system has been using Girder 3.3.10 for controlling home electronics. It is once again time to retire her very tired computer (and the identical one I use for program development) and I am wondering whether to update Girder version. I need help with several specific questions:

(1) Communication between Rachele's system and Girder is via the simple COM automation object and a few of its methods. (Syntax here is that of Corel's PerfectScript scripting language.):

Code:
    Object (Girder; "Girder.GirderEvent") // declares the object
    Girder := CreateObject ("Girder.GirderEvent") // instantiates the object
    Girder.Device := 18
    Girder.EventString := Choice // Choice is a numeric or string variable
    Girder.Send ()
    So my first, and most important, question is whether a simple COM object exists in Girder 6, and what it's object name and methods are? (From searching the forum, it seems that a COM object did exist at least through Grider 5, but I can find no mention in the Girder 6 forum or in the manual.) PerfectScript only has the most basic of IDispatch functionality, for example it cannot handle events or callbacks and it's best to stick to simple data types - structures can be created by bit-packing, but that is a PITA.

(2) Girder 3.3.10 certainly has all of the functionality we need and I would take the cheap and easy path of just transferring the licenses were it not for the fact that it is time to also change transceiver hardware. We have been using TIRA, but one of the two units is long since dead, and I've never been all that happy with TIRA in any case. So, the second question is: Is the PIR-1 compatible with Girder 3.3.10? If not, what currently-available transceivers (and their software) are compatible?

(3) What are the physical dimensions of the PIR-1? If I buy this, I have to figure out how to mount it on the wheelchair and I'd rather know in advance what problems this will create.

Thanks for your help,
    Lenny Robbins (Siena, Italy)

1. Currently no com object available. But in a pinch we can make one. I suggest using csevent.exe (documented in manual under "Send Event To Girder" )

2. PIR-1 is not compatible with 3.3.x. I think the USB-UIRT might be compatible, I don't really recall, 3.3.1 is very old now. ( 15 years probably )

3. Size: 2.6 x 2.6 x 1.1" https://www.promixis.com/pir-1.php
    Ron
    No support through PM

I'll take a look at csevent.exe and see whether it will be usable from PerfectScript. Thanks, Lenny