Thread: Promixis closing up shop

Default Promixis closing up shop

When I started Girder in 1998 in my dorm room in the Netherlands I never could imagine where Girder and its offshoots would take me. Girder has been my bread and butter since leaving college and I have met a lot of very interesting people. I hope Girder and PEAC have made a difference in peoples lives, in the end that is what made the job worth every second. It has been a very fun ride but as with all rides there must be an end. As such I am sad to report that I have stopped selling Girder and the PIR hardware line. If you have an urgent need for any of these or would like to license or purchase the IP please contact sales@promixis.com.

I have been working for Cree in the Intelligent Lighting Research department and have enjoyed life in a large company. If you are in Chicago next week come say hi and see Cree's booth 1412 at Light Fair, we'll be showing off a product that I created the control technology for.

Ron Bessems
    Founder / CEO Promixis, LLC
    Last edited by Ron; May 6th, 2018 at 08:10 AM.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Sorry to hear that, Ron.
    Girder to me has always been the most powerful and flexible home automation application around, hands down, though I've opted to use dedicated hardware in recent years instead. The reason I left the Girder camp was ultimately a question of financial limitations, mostly because I'm a windows user so setting up a dedicated machine with all of the necessary software and hardware would have been pricey. Recently, though, I was dreaming of spending what was needed and returning since every other solution I've used has paled in comparison. It's a sad day in home automation land.
    Good luck in your future endeavors.
    Beware of the robot.

Ron I'm very sorry to hear that. Is there any chance the forums will stay open as a way for users to at least try to help one another since you won't be? Many of us have made some pretty sizable investments in equipment as you know and it would be a shame if we were left completely helpless.

Thanks,
    Casey

Thanks for all your hard work on Girder all these years. I have been a customer since Girder 3.0 and still use it extensively in my home automation. I definitely prefer to have full control over my home automation rather than ceding control to a third party cloud server somewhere. Have you considered open sourcing it with a GPL license or similar (you would still own the ip)?

Thanks for all the kind notes I received. I'll keep the Girder 6 forum open for the time being with the understanding that we can no longer provide support, please help each other.
    Ron
    No support through PM

Bummer Ron but good luck on all future endeavors. Please look at my post on Girder 6.It will be easy for you.

Hi Ron,

there is not much to say. I regret and espect your decision and I want to say thank you for your work. Girder was going with me since my first steps in the home theatre PC era in late 90th and still is as long as it will work.
    I hope you can step into your next adventure where you can invest your creative energy (if not already done) and enjoy your life.

Thanks,

Martin

PS: Can you give some more information about your plans regarding the avaliabilty of the portal, the forum, maintenance updates, ...?

@Martin,

I appreciate the long time Girder fans and supporters like yourself. It's been very nice to be able to create something that so many people used for such a long time!

I haven't finalized plans for the forum. I've had requests to keep it open so that the community can help each other, however considering the activity level of the past few months, I'm not sure it's worth it.

- Ron
    Ron
    No support through PM

I haven't visited the forums in a while and am just seeing this now. I've been a Girder user since pretty near the beginning (where has the time gone) and I'm sad to hear the news. You and Girder have had a huge impact on the viability of the HTPC and it's hard to image using an HTPC without it. We'll miss you but Cree is incredibly lucky to have you. Thanks and best of luck and future success!

Steve

Hi Ron,

It seems appropriate to respond to your announcement, if only to say thanks.

Girder has been a great concept and product, which I have enjoyed using since v3. Your time and effort in designing and supporting it must have been considerable, and I've personally benefited from your personal approach and attention to detail.

It is of course a sad day to see you move on, but I would be the first to accept there are other challenges and opportunities out there.

Thanks Ron for Girder - it's been quite a ride...

Tony