Thread: LCD plugin src, I need help please

Default LCD plugin src, I need help please

I have D/L the source to the LCD plugin by Mike McMahon version 2.5 but have a hard time expanding the functionality. I am fluent in C (mainly embedded programming) but have not coded in C++ (read the books though).
    I think I have a grasp of what to do to make my serial Futaba VFD work codewise, but I can't incorporate the code in visual studio... I tried a lot of things to make it work, but no luck. I can't get it to attach to LCD and compile properly
    I have code that might work, but I don't know yet :wink: I hope the attachement works.
    /Adam Klotblixt

You need to create a new DLL and add it as a dependent project to LCD. You can use one of the other devices as a skeleton.

You also need to modify ui.cpp to include your new device, giving it a string for the menu and the name of the DLL.

If that is not enough information for you to go on, I am happy to merge your support in when I next have a chance. It looks like your file is complete in so far as coding what needs to be device specific goes.

Thanks for the quick response!

I tried creating a DLL-project, but I can't get it to compile, I get error messages I cannot decipher... I did change the ui.cpp also.
    I'd be VERY happy if you could add the code so that it compiles. I can hopefully debug it from there.
    If you want I can send you one of the displays I use, a Futaba 4x20 VFD (I rescued a BUNCH of them from a dumpster). Mail me a physical address and I'll ship one when I have my next errand to the post office.

I'll just have to continue to use my hacked-together LUA-scripts that talk to the display via generic serial. It works, but the timer-plugin is too coarse (1 second) for the scrolling to look nice.
    /Adam Klotblixt

I checked something in that compiles. There was a pure method that wasn't defined: the one to define a custom character. I added a dummy. If the device supports that, you should fill in the implementation. If it's not clear what's needed, send me a link to the spec you're using to get the instructions and I can probably help you figure it out.

If you're comfortable with an anonymous checkout from cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/girderplugins, you can get it there. If not, send me a PM with an email address and I'll send you an updated src.zip file.

I'll save you the postage on the physical display for now. We can reconsider if you can't get it to work; but it sounds like you're nearly there.