Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3M MP8745 Projector, serial port control

Yeah, small nip on my backside, nothing a little ice won't help. :wink:

I think the '01' command code I sited was strictly a case of brain freeze, as I worked on it almost a week ago, and didn't have the results in front of me when I posted here last. :sad: I think it was more likely a 0 in the even positions that triggered the reponses. But, let's just invalidate those findings until I can reproduce them. Heh.

I'm glad you explained the codes that way, though, as its inline with how I read it, too. Its similar to a system we used at work for the last several years, hence the familiarity and why I said it looked easy. :smile:

I was just uncertain as to the comm settings in the plugin, especially hex->bin, since these are numbers represented as hex in the appendix. Didn't know what it wanted. And things like the fixed length return, which I wasn't sure I even needed to worry about. For now, I'm not going to do any response checking, unless it would help me determine if I can get this working or not. :smile:

I did follow the lower diagram, and crossed the transmits and receives, and grounded the three pins. Odd-looking null modem cable, no? At least, that's what 3M calls it. I'm still stressing over the pinouts on it, but I wanted to work backwards from the software, trying any (all?) logical combinations of settings before I go unsolder-happy.

Thanks for the replies. Those were the first steps I was seeking. I won't be able to lay my hands on the projector until Tuesday, so perhaps in a week I'll post a followup here.

Enjoy your holiday weekend! I'll be in a pool for much of it. :wink:

-- RL

\"Television - a medium, so called because it is neither
    rare nor well done.\" -- Ernie Kovacs

This rocks!

As of 11:57 AM ET today, it works!

I grabbed the logger plugin, tried the settings for tx and rx just as you suggested, and communication was established. :smile: Knowning these final settings, I'm going to try altering them to see what the hitch was all along.

I didn't have the rx fixed length or timeout numbers set, because I didn't think I would use them for anything (right now). Is it important to be able to receive the reponses just for the sake of transmit and receive, or can I axe them and ignore them?

I guess it really doesn't matter... if I don't do anything with the responses, they'll just be ignored.

Bottom line: thanks! :smile: This is awesome.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is why certain commands aren't being issued. I assigned keyboard shortcuts to each command (ex., Control-Alt-F for freeze image), and some of them won't send on the first try. The logger even shows this. Well, techinically, the logger is showing nothing, hence the problem. If I try it a 2nd or 3rd time, the command sends. Timeout setting? Anti-repeat? I'll go play, as you've gotten me this far. :smile:

Thanks again!

-- John

\"Television - a medium, so called because it is neither
    rare nor well done.\" -- Ernie Kovacs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12