Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plug-in development suggestion

BTW Mike C, the code I have lying around for normal (non-XP) USB-HID access is indeed that component, albeit a newer version incorporated to the Jedi Component Library Doesn't seem too overly complicated.
    Delphi Guru - That\'s TreeSmurf in English - the tree-hugging hippy smurf
    Building his own HTPC software - none of the other ones fit my needs :)
    MP3 player (w/r.gain) finished - Movie player to go!

There are other ways to do what is being asked here but these are the "traditional" solutions.

Adecold -

Most of the time, people use the Enable Device and Disable Device commands to cause a plugin to gain and release control of a piece of hardware. These commands are on the Girder Tab and you supply a specific device ID for the plugin that you wish to affect. If the plugin supports more than one device at a time, the plugin may provide an interface on the plugin tab that allows the user to control (start/stop) each device individually. If not, the device enable/disable commands affect ALL of the devices the plugin controls, as a group.

Usually, this type of command is tied to events generated by the TaskCreate or TaskSwitch plugin instead of a button on the remote. After all, once the plugin stops controlling the device, there is no way for the plugin to know when the resume button is pressed. Do a search here on TaskCreate or TaskSwitch and you should find some more information. Alternatively, enable one or both of these plugins and, using the Logger plugin, look at the generated events when you start and stop the TV program and DVD player.

BoomSmurf -

In the plugin, you must supply a gir_start() and gir_stop() entrypoint for the above commands to have the desired effect. In those routines, you must start using the device(s) and stop using the device(s). These same routines will normally be called during Girder initialization and destruction, as well, so you probably already have these in your code.

If your plugin supports multiple devices at the same time, it would be helpful for the plugin to allow each device to be individually enabled/disabled via a command supplied by the plugin. This would be done using the gir_event(), gir_command_gui() and gir_command_changed() plugin interfaces. This is a bit more difficult to implement but makes the plugin much more user friendly.
    Mark F

Thanks but I know the drill It is more a problem for me knowing if it works or not than how it works with Girder, i've figured most of that out playing with plugin development, though not all 'beter' ways have been iiimplemented in my plugins yet....

Default Re: Plug-in development suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Adecold
    Hey,
    I'm someone who likes girder alot and thinks all other remote control applications are crap. But unfortunately for me i can't use girder. I already have two infrared devices connected to my PC. One labelled a "USB Human interface device"(sony infrared RECIEVER) and the other a plain "IRDA-Adapter". according to what i've read around, girder does not support the irda-adapters.
    The USB-HID came with my sony tv card. I'm thnking if a plug-in like that can be created, that allows girder learn from HIDs. Kinda like the one uICE just released.
    http://www.mediatexx.com/download/ ---->Bottom of Page.

Adecold
    Please include me as a tester of this future plugin. I have a VAIO laptop with Giga Pocket. The only difference is that my IR receiver is inserted in a speaker and connects to a USB port. It is detected as a "Sony IR Receiver" HID.

I already tried the uICE with the HID driver and it didn't detect the IR sensor. I don't want to add another USB/COM IR receiver to my setup.

Thanks!

People I am sorry to say I have not tried making such a thing yet, partly because I don't have a HID device yet, but mostly because of personal reasons my time available has been very little. This is also the major reason why I have not been around the forum much lately (some of the mods may have noticed). I will try to cook something up ASAP though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12