Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NetRemote Pro prerelease

Default NetRemote Pro prerelease

Hi folks. The new NetRemote Pro Prerelease is here.

Sure enough - As soon as I posted this I started playing with some other IR codes with the new NRIRServer and found that it is -not- super stable yet. It will bomb on some codes. Therefore if you are an NRIRServ user, I recommend waiting until I can fix the issue before trying the prerelease.

With that said ...

This version:

* Should repeat properly with GlobalCache (please try it out, Wilhelm)
    * Allows for setting of transparent pngs on Win32 and PPC from lua
    * Fixes timing bugs relating to calling actions in lua before the plugins have initialized.
    * Calls "plugin painted" buttons when the frame they are sitting in changes enable state.
    * Has an unlocked IR plugin (IE: You don't need a code from Frank)
    * Allows for setting of the IR direct settings from within the IR plugin
    * Has IR learn enabled (please try this, as it has been hit-or-miss on my devices). I strongly recommend using a test ccf to learn, as it will overwrite the current actions on a button.
    * Will open read-only ccfs, and will alert you if you attempt to learn a code to a read only ccf.
    * Includes a new NRIRServer application, which seems to run quite a bit more stable for me, and includes a cleaner repeat mechanism (only supported on USB-UIRT)
    * NRIRServer includes USB-UIRT, slinke, RedRat 3 plugins (Dave T. is updating the RedRat 2 plugin). Please try the RedRat 3 plugins, it's the only device I don't have one of to test with.
    * Changes the NRIRServer protocol. That's right, don't try to intermix the old NRIRServer with this new NetRemote and vice-versa. It won't be pretty.
    * Changed the default NRIRServer port to 19001 (to move out of possible web server territory)

Other than the IR stuff (which I've been working on for a few days), I've been running this release for over a week and it's been stable as heck for me. Please let me know if all works well or not.

Wilhelm - I know there are still some remaining tweaks. I wanted to get something in peoples hands now while I work to complete all of the miscellaneous pieces. Please don't be disappointed.

* Fixes timing bugs relating to calling actions in lua before the plugins have initialized.
    Thanks Ben. And thanks for the workaround that allows NR to remember MC column widths - I only just remembered that but tried it and it works perfectly.

First question - Is there anything in there related to maintaining the connection? There was a feeling that this might explain the hangs I was experiencing on my PPC.

Second question - What are the install instructions for this release? Install over the top? Uninstall first? Delete Reg entries? I always like to ask as it's better safe than sorry.
    JLee
    OpusNR & JLee CCF/GML available in the downloads section.

Hi, Ben! Since I have no reason to believe that anything is broken with JRMC I went straight into testing with NRIRServer and my PPC, and the repeats for the USB-UIRT is broken. It will send a few signals correctly, but then the "fun" starts. NRIRServer locks up, and in a rather dangerous way: It get's stuck sending signals! The only way to stop it from sending signals is to use the Girder plug-in and send a signal from that. Then it stops. So there seems to be some kind of overflow somewhere. For now I have disabled hold-down repeats. It's still on port 8081, but I'm sure that doesen't really matter for it.
    Tor - managing director of the Cinema Inferno home theater and multi-zone sound system with Girder running the show in the back, NetRemote as the GUI and Media Center 17, PowerDVD and ZoomPlayer as playback software
    Hobsyssel mastiffs: http://www.hobsyssel.no

Default Re: NetRemote Pro prerelease

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S
    Wilhelm - I know there are still some remaining tweaks. I wanted to get something in peoples hands now while I work to complete all of the miscellaneous pieces. Please don't be disappointed.
    I'll try to take a valium or two. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben S
    I know there are still some remaining tweaks.
    Could you be more specific? I would hate to complain about something you already know.

I will try to test that thoroughly tonight.
    Thanks
    Wilhelm

Allows for setting of transparent pngs on Win32 and PPC from lua

that works now...

My battery meter (see other thread) is now properly displayed

You already mentioned that the png files are not scaled on PPC.
    BUT NR hangs permanently if the IMG button and the png dimensions don't match exactly (PPC)

Marcel

Quote Originally Posted by mhwlng
    BUT NR hangs permanently if the IMG button and the png dimensions don't match exactly (PPC)
    Can you send me a sample ccf, lua, and image that do this? It was not scaling properly when my sizes were incorrect, but it definitely did not hang properly. Is the image -bigger- than the screen, possibly? It should clip, but it's possible the clipping is off because of the non-scaling.

hmmm..

I just tried to put my old bigger images back

and it didn't hang now ??? so I don't know what happened ???

p.s. it doesn't clip... it just shows a bigger picture (which is fine by me)

Marcel

I"m getting some hangs on this prerelease and the last prerelease.

If I post my netremote.log will that have the necessary info or do I need to use some other software to capture what is going wrong?

My PPC is a Dell Axim X5 (slow version)

Thanks
    == Cocophone ==

Hi guys,

first of all I have to say, NetRemote seems to be a lot more solid now. Nice work. All initialization glitches in the properties seem to be fixed,

As far as my short tests could tell. On Win32 the GC seems to initialize again.
    In the following tests I have only listed the facts, so forgive me if it's more a list of bugs than anything else.
    This is the first draft, as I had to stop testing because of installation problems, but here is what I have found out up to now.

Global Caché, tested on iPAQ 3970, Bluetooth connection.

Sending a single code is much more responsive than before. :-)

PPC: Screen button press doesn't send a code, if released immediately (Clicking with the stylus). The sending seems to be canceled, before the

preamble is sent. You have to hold it at least for about 1/2 second to get it to send. I suppose you have to press, until the preamble is sent. (Works on Win32)

PPC: Hardware-button (middle, I think it's called action Button) doesn't work with GC, the correspondig screenbutton works and send the correct
    code. There seems to be different handling of WM_keyDown and WM_KeyUp on the action button than on the other hardware buttons, because they work ok.

Win32: When starting Netremote GC only works after waiting for about 10-15 sec. First I thought I had to open properties first, but later I
    discovered I only had to wait. On PPC it works immediately when the screen is visible.

PPC: When changing IR-output from Direct to GC you have to close NR and start again, or open the properties a second time to make GC work. The other way arround (GC -> IR) it works immediately.

Repeat does something! (I can see it repeating), but there seem to be timing issues. My Yamaha doesn't react on the repeat. I suppose the pause between preamble and repeat burst is too long. The other possibility is, that there is a bug in the conversion routine from CCF to GC.

Setting the Repeat Count to 0 in the properties of the GC driver reacts odd. I thought it would stop the driver limiting the repeats, but instead it produced a constant repeat for some time even with a single keypress. When I set it to 1000 it reacted as I anticipated and didn't really limit the repeat any more.

There are inconsistencies between GC and Direct-IR reproduction of the stored codes, which suggest there are some discrepancies in the conversion routines. I have codes that work with Direct-IR and do not produce any code with GC. As my codebase was aquired over time, there might be some codes in it that are not Pronto learned CCF codes, but I doubt it is correct to send nothing. I will relearn them to see how it works after that.(That takes time and will not happen today).

Direct-IR, tested on iPAQ 3970 with normal IRDA.

CIR mode is not activated at present. So I am testing with normal IRDA here. The range severely depends on the receiving device. It's between 0,5 and 3 meters with my equipment. I already talked to Frank about CIR and I think he is working on a solution.

Direct IR allways comes up with IR set to COM4 on the iPAQs but it should be COM2, which would certainly confuse people when first trying it.

Learning a code doesn't really work. I tried Yamaha and Sky Digibox. The Sky box codes caused NR to hang when they where replayed and the Yamaha codes were really slow with a pause of about a second after each key and didn't repeat at all. This really needs work.
    Learning codes for my Topfield Sat receiver worked, but NR couldn't identify the pattern correctly, so it allways sent 3 button presses as one code. Not usable either. I don't know what's going on here, as Frank has managed to implement a really perfect learning routine on the SIMpad with his RCII and PPC should not be so different, but perhaps it's the XScale on the 3970. I will switch to Strong ARM and iPAQ 3870 for further testing.

Netremote reacts different with the Direct IR driver when you send the code with a screen button than with a hardware button. I don't understand that. Sending a code with a hardware button is much more reliable than sending the same code from the screen button. These in my opinion can only be timing issues. Increasing the priority of the direct IR driver helps with the hardware button, not so much with the screen. (???)

Netremote cannot learn IR when the Direct IR driver is not active, but the menu is still enabled. I would like this to work (when learning works)
    because I think it would be great to be able to learn codes independent from the selected output.

Now I switch to a IR-boosted iPAQ so that I am sure to test the output routines and not the hardware of the IRDA-Port and rule out any glitches that might be caused by flakey reception. Also this device has a ARM processor.

Direct-IR, tested on iPAQ 3870 with boosted IR output, equivalent to an external IR-booster.

IR.dll didn't install properly on an Wm2003 iPAQ 3870. I tried several times, even uninstalling between. I allways had the same dialog when starting NR: "IR.DLL wasn't installed properly...". I allready contacted Frank about it. I have to wait for his answer how to correct this (if you are not faster, Ben) and so I have to postpone the rest of the tests. I didn't want to ruin a working installation on my productive devices and as I suppose I can't go back - I chickened out.

Conclusion:

Ben, I see that you have implemented repeats, my devices see the flicker (of the LED) but don't recognize the codes. The GC is much more reliable
    than before and I hope you will work this repeat problems out soon. Thinking about it I suspect a problem in the CCF conversion routine.

With Direct IR there are far more variables in the game. Different IRDA transmitters, different processors and chipsets. At the moment I cannot pinpoint where the main problem is.

I hope my next report will be due tomorrow.
    Wilhelm

Quote Originally Posted by Cocophone
    I"m getting some hangs on this prerelease and the last prerelease.

If I post my netremote.log will that have the necessary info or do I need to use some other software to capture what is going wrong?

My PPC is a Dell Axim X5 (slow version)

Thanks
    I have another thread going on this. You might want to post your NR log there.
    JLee
    OpusNR & JLee CCF/GML available in the downloads section.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast